Thursday 2 June 2016

Eulogy For A Soul Regain (June 2, 2016)

Death
From living
A lie.

At 35 years
8 months
And 13 days
On November 15th.

For one
T------ A----- G-------.

Upon marking
The seventh anniversary
Of his father's death
In November 1998
Over his grave.

Selflessly
He placed
The need of others
Before his own.

Battling undiagnosed
Mental illness
For most of his life.

In spite of
His silent tears
Kept those
Around him
Smiling.

Overcoming
Various learning disabilities
Turned his doubters
Into believers.

With his B.A.
From Carleton University
In 1994.

Filling his dad
With unexpressed
Pride.

Please
I ask you.

"Wipe away
Those tears
From your eyes
And rejoice."

From this death
Comes forth
A new life.

With love
And renewed hope
For the future.

Where
None existed
Before.

For I am standing
Before you
Like the Phoenix
Who has risen
From death's ashes.

Spreading my wings
Wide and far
As I soar
On life's thermals.

Therisa © 2016


Author's note: It was November 15, 2005, when I realized my true self, as I stood over, my dad's grave, crying uncontrollably, for 5 minutes. This day will forever, be edged, in my memory, for the unusually very mild weather, we're experiencing that November. On this particular day, it was a mild mist that cover the greater Toronto area, instead of, the usually bitter cold blowing winds, and temperatures, just hovering about 0 C.


In August 1977, I hid away Therisa, to protect her, for the transphobic and general abuse, I was experiencing, as a part of my daily life, living in, a small rural Ontario village. For the next 28 years, she remain thus, until this fateful day, in 2005.

6 comments:

Glenn Buttkus said...

Wow, T, this is one emotion-packed poetic. As an elegy, it rocks the prompt, & the need to accentuate the positive on the end is done triple-well. Was your Dad in his 50's when he passed?

Therisa's World said...

Thank you, Glenn, for your very generous and positive comments. No, he was only, 62, at the time of his death, but he was my rock, from my late teenage years, until his death, in 1998.

Bodhirose said...

Your passionate words are ringing with your deep emotions in this, not only for your father but for yourself. I can't help but feel your empowerment and I'm very happy for you. Thank you for sharing yourself, Therisa.

brudberg said...

I really love the focus on that single moment.. It seems like 2 dying and one being born. The note afterwards adds so much texture to your elegy too.

Walt Wojtanik said...

Truly an emotive elegy. You've again given us all a glimpse into the passion you possess, Therisa! The layers here form quite the foundation!

Sherry Blue Sky said...

An AWESOME response to the prompt. Yay, for Therisa, rising from the ashes of that left-behind life, in all of her truth and beauty.

Featured post

Chance Encounter (March 13, 2017)

July 21, 2006. A date Forever etched Into my memory. As if Done by A laser. By mistake And pure chance. I enter...