Tuesday 10 May 2016

Just The Way, It Was (May 10, 2016)

Am surprise
By your reaction to
A part of my life.

Especially
From the 1980s
And early 1990s.

Dark times
For the LGBT+ community
As we were forced
To confront several epidemics
At once.

Not all
Were related to
The emerging killer
HIV/AIDS.

Being expose
To the virulent hate
For the first time
Of transphobia
And homophobia.

Not from
Other kids
But adults.

Already have
That t-shirt
Years ago.

When
I started kindergarten
In 1975.

Along with
The PTSD flashbacks
Auditory and visual
In constant rotation
Throughout the years.

Naively
I thought
With the gaining of age
One got smarter and wiser
About the world
Around them.

Just part
Of the curse
Being
An optimistic-pessimist.

Yeah
I know
It's an oxymoron
Like military intelligence.

So sue me.

On second thought
Better not
Still have money leftover
From my disability cheque.

Therisa © 2016

Author's note: Guess, the little things that most people take for granted, are those memories, which filled us, with sadness and regret.

No comments:

Featured post

Chance Encounter (March 13, 2017)

July 21, 2006. A date Forever etched Into my memory. As if Done by A laser. By mistake And pure chance. I enter...