Saturday 16 April 2016

Upon The Warpath (April 16, 2016)

Never asked
To become
A rebel.

Life
Forced me.

Through
Happenchance
And genetics.

No matter
How I try
To run away.

Am brought back
Kicking and screaming.

By a society
That systematically
Discriminates
Against those
Who are different.

A fact
I learn
At an early age.

In being failed
By a grade one teacher
For having
Learning disabilities.

Or
The sad fact
Of having to fight
Just to get
The proper treatment
For my various
Mental illnesses.

In a system
Doctor knows best
Always.

Never mind
I came out
As a trans-lesbian
To a transphobic parent.

Learning
A whole new lesson
What parental love
Really means.

Or
The transphobic nature
Of the various services
One uses
On a daily basis.

From healthcare
Food banks
To homeless shelters.

A constant reminder
Of the war
I must wage
For equality
And compassion.

Therisa © 2016

Author's note: Inspired, by Sherry Blue Sky's comment, on my poem, No Trannies Allowed. Only wished, my war had ended, before I picked up my weapons, to fight it.

No comments:

Featured post

Chance Encounter (March 13, 2017)

July 21, 2006. A date Forever etched Into my memory. As if Done by A laser. By mistake And pure chance. I enter...