Monday 25 April 2016

The Thought Was There (April 25, 2016)

Know
You meant well
By dropping off
That food package.

But
I can't eat
Or use
Anything
There.

Due to
My extreme allergy
To caffeine.

You see
The open package
Of ground coffee
Had spilled
In the bag.

Like those
With a ground nut allergy
I won't risk my life
For a moment's pleasure.

Knowing
How painful
And fatal
Anaphylactic shock
Can be.

A brief inhale
Of the ground coffee
Has my nose burning.

Never mind
My hands and face
A' itching
Fierce.

Wanting
To scratch them
Until they bleed
Or the itchiness
Stops.

Besides
I detest
The taste of coffee.

As one
Of the most vilest
Concoction
Invented by man.

Rather
Have someone
Give me
A cup of hemlock tea
To drink.

Much faster
Way to end
My life.

Therisa © 2016

Author's note: Some time, between 10 am and 2 pm, today, someone left a small care package, at my apartment, while I was using one of the library computers. Containing, a box of oatmeal cookies, two boxes of instant potatoes and the aforementioned open package of ground coffee. Due to my anaphylactic reaction, to caffeine and wasp/hornet stings, I carry upon me, 24/7/365, an Epipen, in a pouch, of my backpack. And anything, I think, has a trace of caffeine, gets dumped or traded off, to someone, who can enjoy it.

No comments:

Featured post

Chance Encounter (March 13, 2017)

July 21, 2006. A date Forever etched Into my memory. As if Done by A laser. By mistake And pure chance. I enter...