Friday 4 March 2016

Breaking The Ice (February 28, 2016)

www.lourenco.co.za

Seen
That look
Upon your face
As you learn
I'm trans.

One
Of shock
And surprise.

Unconsciously
You move
A step or two
Backwards.

As if
Being associated
With me
Will condemn you
To eternal Hell
For your soul.

Forgetting
For many people
I am
Their first exposure
To a trans-person.

Although
You have seen
Our stories
And struggles
On the TV.

Or
At the movies.

Often
We're portrayed
By cis-actors/actresses
Like we don't pass
For our chosen gender.

But
If you're willing
To set aside
Your religious
And cultural stereotypes.

And share
With me
A mug or two
Of Rooibos tea
We can talk.

Therisa © 2016

Author's note: My doctor's office, is one of many satellite offices, for one of Toronto's major teaching hospitals, thus, I'm usually, the first trans-person, these interns have seen, as a patient. The medical schools don't have to offer any seminars on trans health, and usually, only one session of 2-4 hours, for gay and lesbian health. Given the long history of transphobia, within the medical community, it isn't surprising, when one looks at the facts. As gender dysphoria, was once considered, by the psychiatric community, as a mental illness.

No comments:

Featured post

Chance Encounter (March 13, 2017)

July 21, 2006. A date Forever etched Into my memory. As if Done by A laser. By mistake And pure chance. I enter...